How do I index WordPress category listing pages?

My category pages are not showing up in the search results when I use the Swiftype WordPress plug-in. Is there a way to include them?

By default, our WordPress plug-in only indexes posts (and post-like objects such as pages and custom post types) that are written directly to the wp_posts table of your WordPress database.

Although dynamically generated pages (ex. categories & tags) don’t get indexed, there is a bit of a workaround.

What you’ll want to do is create a new page within your WordPress admin dashboard. In this new page, create a title to reference the desired tag, category archive, or really whatever listing page type you’d like and be sure to include some unique copy to the body of the page. We just need this page to exist so it can be indexed by the WordPress plug-in once it’s published.

For the next step, you will want to install a third-party plug-in that will enable you to easily configure redirects (the Quick Redirect Plug-in is a solid choice).

What this will allow you to do is create a 301 redirect from the indexed page to any destination you’d like, such as the URL to your dynamic category list.

Otherwise, to index category listing pages you could instead use our web crawler-based site search option.